Monday, January 22, 2007

The Voice of the Nation

So we're at the home show on Sunday and are approached by this reporter & photographer. He asks us what we think of the energy conservation program announced that day. We're expecting some lifestyle question about what you're shopping for etc. but really, i had no idea what he's talking about. So he gives us this 3 minute synopsis of the announcement and asks what we think.

"Ron Tabata, of Toronto, who was wandering through the Home Show with his wife, Julianne, also had misgivings. "I don't think you will get as many people taking advantage of it simply because of the upfront costs and then you don't know if you are going to get it.""

from todays Toronto Star

Makes me think about quotes in the newspaper. What value is my comment on something I really didn't know anything about?

Thinking more about it, the act still sounds stupid. I mean anyone who wanted to renovate to conserve energy would have already done it for the energy cost savings, not a stupid rebate. If you did upgrade, you probably don't have the cash to do so anyways so a rebate is no help. The group that would benefit the most would be a real estate speculator who's buying a dated property and planning a full renovation to flip it anyways.

Either way... i guess i still got to go out and pick up a copy of todays paper.

2 comments:

Zee said...

Can you give me your thoughts on global warming?

Unknown said...

Somewhat valid points, but a lot of people are likely on the verge of doing something and just need a little nudge. If I still lived in my old house, this would have pushed me to replace my drafty old windows. Could probably swing something to get a rebate for renovating my basement too...