Monday, December 04, 2006

Movie review... I mean finally...



Okay, finally a movie review. I felt this one was worth blogging because many people probably never saw it or will likely not see it.

Two things you should know about myself as a reviewer.
1. I am NOT and environmentalist. I believe that climate changes are a natural part of the big eco-bubble we call earth and dramatic changes have happened in the past. Also, i don't believe the last hundred years of temperature data we have is enough to draw conclusions on a weather system that has existed for billions of years. (for some interesting 'fictional' arguments about global warming, read Michael Crichton's book "State of Fear")
2. I am a car enthusiast as my prior entries illustrate. I love the power of my 333hp BMW even though it gets less than 100km/10litres on most tanks. I believe any car should have enough power to go when you want it to go, regardless if your doing 40km/hr or 140km/hr.

So that brings me to the movie... I don't know if it's because i'm getting older, but it seems like there are a lot more entertaining documentary films than there was 20 years ago. All of the Michael Moore films, or one with the guy that ate all the McDonalds food (name escapes me right now... brain cramp)

So the electric car follows the birth and death of the GM EV1. It does a great job in establishing the force and technology and promise behind the birth of the car. For those unfamiliar with it, its an odd looking car, definitely has a cuteness factor... feels a bit like Herbie by the midpoint of the film.



This is important, because if you don't root for this little car, you'll miss the impact of its demise. The film does a great job of portraying various 'evil empires' by attempting to erase history.

I can't ever see myself protesting over a car but I would say that it's an engaging movie and it was successful in having me raising the question of why not having an electric car.

Especially if it was this one. I just need to figure out how to come up with the 100k or so pay for it. Tesla Motors

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We liked the documentary, too. I thought it was interesting to learn how much power the batteries had, and how fast the cars were/could have been - as fast as any car. I also found the self-sabotaging marketing campaign interesting, too.

Unknown said...

This is so ironic, we were having a debate at work last week about this documentary (eventhough I haven't seen it yet).

It’s crazy to think that there
are more people out there
who “influence” the use of fossil fuels than those who want to make a shift towards more environmental alternatives!

How do we get to a point where all the cars being made are environmentally friendly?

Where does it start?

Is it the responsibility of the consumer to start boycotting the gas-guzzlers?

Or is it the responsibility of the car manufacturer (build it and they will come) to start building more hybrid cars and the like?